Sunday, October 27, 2013

Fall Reading List


 


The Power of Less: The Fine Art of Limiting Yourself to the Essential...in Business and in Life by Leo Babauta (here)
In the past, I've felt like I've had to get everything done to feel like I've had a good day, that the more I got done meant I was being more productive.  Experience has already taught me that this is not the case.  It's interesting how much focusing on less, focusing first on the essential allows you to attack tasks with greater focus, with greater power and get greater results.  I started reading this a few days ago, and I'm really interested in seeing how this book will continue to challenge my thinking and help me get the results I want.

Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl (here)
I started reading this late at night during a bought of insomnia, but I haven't touched it in a while.  It'll be next on my reading list after "The Power of Less."  From what I remember, it was very good.  Frankl has a way of showing you how most of the things that worry or upset us in life are insignificant but not in a way that makes you feel lousy.  He tells his true story in a way that helps you look at the bright side of things and realize that happiness and fulfillment in life depends on our outlook and mindset not on our circumstances.

Better: A Surgeon's Notes on Performance by Atul Gawande (here)
I found out about this book from the beau, and I downloaded my own copy shortly after.  I've only read the afterword of the book where Gawande leaves his "Suggestions for Becoming a Positive Deviant."  Based off of that I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the book, and seeing what else I can learn from all of his experience and perspective on work and life.

The Honest Life: Living Naturally and True to You by Jessica Alba (here)
I downloaded and read this book over the summer, and I use it as a reference book.  It has all kinds of tips for this like organizing, cleaning, cooking, beauty and style.  It's the kind of book that you can refer back to for ideas and inspiration seasonally, as you change the space you're living in or the foods your eating.  There's also some awesome guides, for instance a chart that tells you how to cook different grains, many of which I've never heard of before but want to try.  It also shares some info and practical tips on how to navigate in a world where all kinds of harmful substances and chemicals are found in everyday products and food.  Think of it as ways to simplify life and embrace elements of natural and organic living in a way that's accessible.

Si-cology 1: Tales and Wisdom from Duck Dynasty's Favorite Uncle by Si Robertson (here)
Guilty pleasure.  On the list simply because I can't get enough of Uncle Si.  If you're not familiar, Google this man.  His wisdom will give you laughs for days.

Any of these on your list?  Already read any of these?  I'd love to hear what you think :-)
SHARE:

1 comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig