Monday, October 7, 2013

Water Closets and Collard Greens


This weekend involved a trip to New York, not only as a nice getaway and shopping with my mom, but it also marked a major family milestone.  We also celebrated the 90th birthday of my bf's grandmother, whose birthday is the day before mine.  My bf's mother selected a nice restaurant in the Upper West Side, Good Enough To Eat.  The decor of the restaurant had this cozy, comfy country home feeling.  They also have outdoor seating.  The restaurant was small and the warm lighting gave it a nice intimate feel; for this reason you should also make reservations.  The menu boasts comfort food selections such as traditional turkey and meatloaf dinner as well as steak and roasted chicken; the portions are filling.  The waitstaff was a little slow, but the overall experience was "good enough," and if that's what they were going for they succeeded.  I would like to come back to try a few more things from the menu.  If you're in the area, I do think this place is worth trying.  This restaurant also serves breakfast and lunch. 

This time:
Pumpkin Soup - good taste but a little watery and a little soupy for my taste.  I prefer pumpkin soup to be thicker and pureed more than liquefied, but it was nice and hot when it was delivered.  I still finished the entire cup which says something.

Pork chop, orange-maple mashed sweet potato, and collard greens - I had my mind set on the pork chop with BBQ sauce, sweet potato fries and coleslaw that's on the online menu.  I was a little disappointed by the change, but I decided to give it a shot anyway.  I don't remember what was in the pork chop gravy, but it "tasted like thanksgiving" if that makes any sense.  I'm not a culinary expert, so I'm not 100% sure, but perhaps I tasted nutmeg?  I just know I would have preferred a more traditional gravy; however, I did enjoy the thickness of the chop.  The best part of the meal was the collard greens; they were AMAZING!  I could have eaten an entire plate!

***Update. I totally forgot about the orange-maple mashed sweet potatoes.  The maple flavor was not as dominate as you would expect, but the orange undertones came through just enough.  Verdict: not bad if you like sweet potato, but I would have preferred the fries.

Yellow Birthday Cake with Chocolate Icing - I don't eat chocolate icing, but the cake gets an A. Although it was a bit cold when they brought it out, the cake was so delicious I didn't mind.  It tasted like a pound cake, but it wasn't too buttery.  The restaurant makes the cake on site when ordered in advance, and they have several options to choose from.

Next time(s):
More Collard Greens!
Three Bean Vegetarian Chili - served over brown rice with a side of biscuits.  
Macaroni and Cheese - I'm curious to see if it's as good as the greens.
Lemon Parmesan Chicken Breast - this is served over fettuccine and comes with yellow squash.  The waiter said it's one of the most popular dishes.
Griddled Buttermilk Biscuits and Strawberry Butter
Breakfast: Apple Pancake, Peach French Toast


If you check it out, let me know what you think! It was super easy to get to as well! 


Photo credit: JRY3 Photography

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig