Monday, August 25, 2014

{Recipe} Hot, Fruit Slush

I think we've all been there: buying more produce than we have time to eat.  It's on sale.  It looks great.  We all want to eat well, but somehow between busy schedules and eating out our fresh fruit and veggies get pushed to the back of the fridge.  Then when it starts to get soft, you make a soup, a pie, or come up with some other way of using it before it goes bad.  Last week, I had a couple of pears that were on their way out (the photo only shows the "good" side), but I don't like throwing away food.  I didn't have the time or ingredients to make anything too intensive, but I pulled a Tim Gunn and made it work.  I ended up making a pretty good hot fruit topping with only three ingredients:

>2 Pears (or peaches, nectarines)
>Cinnamon
>Vanilla Extract

Yup, that's it! Why? Because that's all I had.  No sugar, no flour, no cornstarch, no nothing. 

"Make It Work," remember?



I peeled and sliced the pears, cutting off the bad parts.  Sprinkled a little cinnamon and added a splash of vanilla extract (I typically don't measure unless a formal recipe requires it).  I microwaved it for two minutes, and that was it.  The pears were so ripe that their natural sugars were enough.  I served the fruit topping with french toast, but they would also go nicely served over oatmeal or ice cream.  And there you have it.  Hot Fruit Slush.  Note: I've been informed that this is basically hot fruit topping; however, I think my resourcefulness and the name gives it a little something extra.  What do you think? 


Any tips/tricks for extending the life of fruits and veggies?  How do you save them?


Linking up with Delicious Dish Tuesday!

SHARE:

4 comments

  1. This is my life. I can never seem to eat all my fruits and veggies before they go bad. I hadn't thought of making a fruit topping though! Now I wish my nectarines had lasted a few more days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this. And I love that you use the microwave rather than waiting and getting a pan dirty with the stove! Thank you so much for linking up and sharing with Delicious Dish Tuesday :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like the most delicious topping for french toast. Yum!!! Great idea girl; thanks for sharing at DDT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! That sounds delicious! I don't have any secrets except maybe separating my bananas :-p I've heard there are bags and certain sprays that extend the life. I freeze a lot if it's about to go bad :)

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig