Friday, December 12, 2014

Style Staples: Holiday Basics

Baroque Sequins Pencil Skirt (Forever21)
Gold Sequin Crossbody Pouch (J.Crew Factory) 


One of the great things about this time of year is the opportunity to get together with family and friends.  Often times this also brings up the question of what to wear to your holiday party or event.  If you're not sure what to wear to your Christmas, New Years or other seasonal gathering, you can't go wrong with something sparkly.  Whether it's with jeans or something more formal, sequin pieces can be styled easily with neutrals or basics to spruce up any holiday look.  While lots of people shy away from sequins out of fear of appearing gaudy, Alexandra does a great job of showing how classy they can be.
 

I bought a sequin crossbody pouch years ago that I usually bring out around this time of year.  While it's no longer available, this Abstract Sequin Beaded Clutch is a nice alternative.  This is a fun piece that would look great with a little black or red dress.  Even if you just wore it with all black or black with jeans, it adds something festive to your look.  I also like this Side Zip Envelope Clutch with gold embellishment because it's a little more practical, something you can wear all year round.


Flower Stone Necklace (J.Crew Factory), Pave Bead Necklace (Ann Taylor)
Luxe Lover Faux Pearl Necklace (Forever21

Here's my layered look for a daytime Christmas party I attended last weekend.  I kept it simple with all black: a cardigan, pants, flats and a crossbody bag, but I brightened things up by wearing two necklaces over top of this striped blouse.  Remember you don't necessarily have to go out and buy something new.  I've had one of these necklaces since undergrad, and the other is a year or two old.  This is just my first time wearing the two together, so experiment with what you have!  Sometimes layering a few different pieces or styling an existing piece in an unexpected way is just what you need to finish off your look.  Wear a necklace as a bracelet.  Wear a scarf as a necklace.  Have a shirt or sweater with a plunging neckline or interesting detail?  Wear it backwards--sometimes this works!  Again the point is to make it work with what you have especially if you don't have the time or budget to buy something new, and if you can do some shopping stick with the basics.  You also can't go wrong with pearls.  I recently lucked out on a few free shipping and 50% off deals that allowed me to order these classic pearl studs and pearl statement necklace as replacements for ones that were lost and broken.

What are your "go to" holiday looks and favorite pieces?
Feel free to share your links below :-)
SHARE:

3 comments

  1. I totally agree about sparkling this time of year, love your combined necklace combo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Jasmine! I literally waited until the last minute to get ready and had like ten minutes, so I just threw it together but somehow it worked!

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much for including me in your holiday post - I'm so honored! :) And I love the beaded clutch! I looked for one like that a little while ago and couldn't find anything like it (which always seems to happen to me). Hope you're enjoying the holidays!

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig