Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Recipe // Kale & Apple Salad


As much as I try to eat in and pack lunch to save, I just wasn't in the mood for cooking Friday night.  Instead I treated myself to takeout, and I'm glad I did because I ordered the most delicious salad that I just had to recreate for myself---or at least tried to.  The original salad came with cubes of butternut squash, which I took out because the flavor combination didn't work for me.  Other than that all the other ingredients worked really well together.  Unfortunately, I swapped the Red Delicious apple for a Granny Smith I already had; after trying it, I much preferred the original choice of apple.  Because I didn't have turkey bacon, I used some crumbled pork bacon I had around.  Again, it didn't stand up to the taste of the turkey bacon in the salad I ordered.  Sometimes my kitchen improv works, I've been known to whip up some pretty good things with the random assortment of ingredients I already have.  In this case, not so much.  Moral of the story: if it ain't broke, don't fix it.  The ingredients matter; stick to the original recipe.


Ingredients
A bunch of Kale
Cubed Red Delicious Apple
Crumbled Goat Cheese
Crumbled Turkey Bacon
Balsamic Dressing
 
 
What are some of your favorite salad combinations?
 
 
*You may also notice, I didn't use just kale.  At the time I went to the store they didn't have any, so I had to buy a premixed salad mix with kale and some other leafy greens.  This was another problem with my attempt at recreating the original, but I assure you the original as listed was delicious, so I'll be giving it another shot.
SHARE:

4 comments

  1. I'm not always a big salad person but I love salads that incorporate fruit! The Corner Bakery has one that is really good that I've had way too often recently. I need to try making my own!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to look into their salads, thanks. This is actually my first time trying a salad with fruit. At least with apples I really like it.

      Delete
  2. This looks delicious! I've only ever had kale mixed with other greens so I'm not sure how I'd like it alone, but I think the apples would help since I find it somewhat bitter. I'll have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My experience with kale is always different. Sometimes it's good sometimes it's bad. I think it just depends on how you cook it and which flavor combinations you use with seasonings and dressings. The original salad was by far the best I've had. Good luck!

      Delete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig