Friday, January 2, 2015

She Believed She Could So She Did


The new year is always a great time to reflect on the past and to consider what changes you want to make in the future.  Here's a few of my goals for this year:

Work.  As much as it's a struggle having other interests and priorities, my full-time job is medical school.  I definitely want to be a better student, so that I can be a great physician.  Academic improvement is definitely a goal for this year.  I've learned a huge part of this is time management and active studying.  It's not how much you study, it's how you study.  It's also important to focus on the big picture, the necessary, the essential.  I like the details; they're important too but useless without something to hang them onto.  Becoming a better student will definitely help me lay the foundation for being a competent physician, an excellent healthcare provider, and all that comes before and between like passing exams and the boards.

Serve.  I want to serve.  I'm not completely sure how I'll do this, but this has definitely been a void over the last few months.  Yes I've volunteered a couple of times throughout first term, and I'll be doing plenty of this throughout my career--but what can I do now?  Last year before starting school I volunteered as a preschool Sunday school teacher, and the time I spent teaching and listening to the little nuggets made my heart full.  But what's next?  There are tons of opportunities to help other people, but I want to find something I'm truly passionate about.  I want to do some volunteer work promoting healthy lifestyle choices and preventative medicine, but how exactly should I do this?  I love working with children, but I also want to help people of all ages.  This is definitely something I'm praying and thinking about.  I want this to be a year where I serve like never before because I've definitely found that life isn't as full or joyful as when you're helping others.

Blog.  Post more regularly.  I've said this before, I have more ideas than time.  This doesn't even include the spontaneous, spur of the moment posts I come up with.  I have a tendency to want to wait for large chunks of time when I can work uninterrupted, but this isn't practical.  I've learn that it's cumulative effort that builds results.  Use the little bits of time, they really add up.

Health and Beauty.  Learning about just some of the many things that can go wrong with the body, definitely makes me value my health much more.  Continuing to eat well and prep meals to save money, I also want to increase my physical activity to benefit my long term health.  In the past I've only exercised sporadically.  I want to try different modes of physical activity to find some things that I like and that fit with my lifestyle.  One thing I've done to help keep myself on track is buy a small calendar to record the things I try and my progress.  I also want to work on building a hair and skin regimen, since I don't really have either, to improve the health of both. 

Make.  Over the years I've collected a couple thousand pins (who's with me?!), and I want to actually use some of them.  Recipes, DIY projects, and all kinds of fun tips.  Somehow amongst everything else I've listed, I want to make time to do a few of these. 

Style.  Building and remixing my wardrobe to minimize purchases through weekly outfit planning, keeping track of and sharing new combinations and ways to style existing pieces.
What are some of your hopes and goals for the year? 
SHARE:

6 comments

  1. Hey sister, I really enjoyed this post. As like yourself I too would like to dedicate some time to help others. This year more than ever, I have been thinking how truly blessed I have been and how people have been a blessing in my life. I want to be a blessing to someone else. Sometimes people just need to know that someone cares about them. I need to tell you that although you are my "little sister" you inspire me. I am inspired by how you make your dreams a reality and if you don't succeed the first time you don't stop until you make it happen. Keep up the excellent job, you never know who is watching. Love you.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, this means a lot! Many times I'm not even sure if I'm doing things right, but this is really encouraging. I know this year will be better than your last, love you!

      Delete
  2. These sound like great goals!! I'm with you on doing something with those pinterest boards! I pin a ridiculous amount of stuff and then never do anything with them. I should add that to my goal list as well. Happy New year Ele

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Shenine! Haha I know pinning used to be a real problem for me. It's time that we actually use them! I hope you have an awesome New Year!

      Delete
  3. I love the part about studying... I get caught up on the smaller details too (huge trivia geek, haha) but focusing on the big picture is essential for more conceptual exams! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. It's a matter of finding a balance though because after you big the picture those details are major! Thanks for stopping by and best of luck with school :-)

      Delete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig