Sunday, January 18, 2015

the Continental // Crunchy Brioche French Toast


I haven't always liked French toast, but over the past few years it's become my favorite breakfast dish.  Whether it's making my own overnight baked French toast or ordering it at restaurants, I have it as often as I can.  I've also been keeping a mental list ranking my favorites.  Little did I know that when J suggested we go to Continental on Saturday that I'd find my number one.


This is the best French toast I've ever had.  In no way do I mean to sound dramatic, but this Crunchy Brioche French Toast is on that level.  I've had the good, the bad, and the average, but this is by far the best.  A new standard has been set.  Made with a huge slice of brioche over an inch thick, it was crispy on the outside yet soft on the inside.  It gets major points because I didn't taste the slightest bit of egg, which is a huge turnoff.  J also approved; he had a little taste and described it as having almost a custard like consistency.  Topped with apple compote and drizzled with a mulled cider reduction, it had just enough sweetness without going overboard.  Since I don't use syrup I typically have to ask for copious amounts of fresh fruit to cover my breakfast breads.  This French toast, however, was rich, moist, and flavorful with no other toppings needed.  This is major.  The swirl of fresh whipped cream and single sliced strawberry just sent it over the edge.  Perfect in every way.   I would have finished it all had I not ordered a side of potatoes and apple smoked bacon.  I had a decision to make between taking the last two bites and making it out the restaurant alive.  If ordered alone, the serving would have been just enough, perfectly filling without being stuffed.  Not too little, not too much.


J also enjoyed his selection, The Big Bang, a great choice for a hungry man or woman.  It consists of a very large shortstack, eggs, turkey sausage, apple smoked bacon, potatoes, and toast.  The portions were large, and J thought it was worth the $15 he paid.  As much as I don't like breakfast sausage I tried a piece from J's order and thought that was good too as were the potatoes; they had a nice crisp.  


I remember dining at the Continental years ago, ordering a stack of delicious pumpkin pancakes, but when I returned to order them I found they were only a seasonal dish.  Disappointed I think I ended up settling for either oatmeal or a burger, either way a much less memorable pick.  Luckily I listened to J's suggestion because I would have seriously missed out on rediscovering this place.  I'm also glad we went close to opening, since the restaurant quickly filled for lunch as we were leaving.


So, is it the world's best French toast?  I don't know, I haven't tried them all yet; however, I will say it easily takes my number one spot and is worth many reorders.  Challengers you are welcome, but the bar has been set high.

Find out more about their menu and location here, and let me know what you try! 
What's your favorite breakfast spot?  Always open to suggestions :-)    

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig