Monday, February 2, 2015

Motivation Monday: Start Small

On major sale in-store at Old Navy top // bottom (less than $14 for the set!)

We've all been there.  I'm sure most people start off the new year with improving their physical fitness/exercising as one of their goals.  Last month I worked out a total of four times, and only two of those times included a visit to a free gym that I walk by daily.  Even typing that out is sad.  While it can be easier to look at all we don't do, I'm getting into the practice on using my "wins" as motivation to do more.  While I've yet to develop the weekly gym routine, I managed to find one upper body exercise that I really like.  Small victory!  After stumbling across this very inspirational video, I found this video with a simple shoulder exercise that you can do in the comfort of your own home.  Sometimes it's hard to find the motivation to do things we want to do or know that we should do, but once you get started it get's easier to keep going.  Remember: it's ok to start small.  I'm proud of the burn that I've been feeling with my little two pound weights over the past week.  If the full body workout isn't working for you right away, just pick one area to work on until you become more consistent then add on more.

How do you motivate yourself to "just start"? 
I'd love to hear about some of your fitness goals and routines!
Have a great weekend, and remember "it's not how you start but how you finish!"
SHARE:

6 comments

  1. Great post Ele! We are kindred spirits bc I have been thinking about this. I think having a fitness body is the way to go-someone to make you accountable and encourage you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Jasmine! I couldn't agree more; that's not something I currently have, but I'm definitely up for it. Just writing this was motivation itself b/c I went again yesterday. I always forget how great of a stress relief it is!

      Delete
  2. I love Old Navy for workout clothes, I think they are so underrated and they have such great stuff! I find it so hard to motivate myself in the winter because it's dark by the time I'm out of work and I just want to go home, but I always tell myself that I've never once regretted going to the gym and while it doesn't feel all that good going in, it's always great coming out! Even if I tell myself it's just for 30 mins on a cardio machine, I always end up doing something more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah for me part of it is convincing myself to go back out in the cold. Once I'm inside and settled, I try not to leave back out for anything, but the benefits outweigh the temporary discomfort. "Comfort is the enemy of achievement," I once read/heard someone say. And if I can keep getting deals like one I did, I will continue to be an Old Navy active wear customer haha!

      Delete
  3. This is great Ele, I really needed this. The winter semester can be so demotivating, especially when it comes to maintaining a work out routine. I've come to realize that when you're busy, any exercise is better then trying to schedule in, pushing it off and not get any exercise done. Every little bit of motivation counts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! Every little bit counts, but giving yourself that little bit of freedom to miss and forgiveness makes you even more motivated to do more when you can.

      Delete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig