Thursday, August 13, 2015

Life & Liberty

Even when you grow up in a city full of history, sometimes you still lose sight of it's significance until you see it through someone else's eyes.  A few weekends ago I was out with a friend from the West Coast who'd never seen much of historic Philadelphia. Surrounded by dozens of visitors and tourists full of intrigue, I saw the city in a different light.

I always find it amazing how one symbol can simultaneously mean both the same thing and so many different things to so many different people.  Just think of what would draw millions of people a year to this ancient form.  History.  Identity.  Hope.  Freedom.  Independence.  Even with the injustice that persists, to live in this country you are blessed.  Even with the inequality that prevails, to live in this country you are fortunate.  At heart we are much more alike than different; looking beyond our differences, therein the solution lies.  At the end of the day, we all want the same things.  Life and liberty.

And of course a rare full frontal photo of me in my "summer uniform," you know just for Mom and Dad, because I haven't seen the Liberty Bell in almost 20 years.
If you're ever in the city checking out the historical sights, be sure to swoop by South Street to visit Philadelphia's Magic Gardens and try Percy Street Barbecue.


What are some of the "must-see" attractions in your city?
SHARE:

3 comments

  1. I hear you...growing up near D.C. I've done all the museums and monuments more than once so they just don't seem that special anymore! It's not until friends visit and want to do it all that I remember not everyone has history in their back yard! Also, Philadelphia is awesome. When I was growing up my father worked in Philly ever other week and we would often go up with him and spend the week checking out the city. My Mom hated the Betsy Ross and Ben Franklin bridges and I remember once she was lost we drove over them multiple times in one day :) But the Italian markets are the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so cool you got to grow up experiencing the history of two cities. I've been here my whole life and still haven't seen all of it...And yes the food is definitely one of the best things about Philly. Then again I could probably say that about many places lol!

      Delete
  2. I totally understand what you mean. When I lived in Philly, I never took advantage of everything there bc it was so familiar. It's great that you got to see everything through a fresh prospective

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig